9 Apr 2014

The Fire Alarm


Yesterday, the fire alarm went off in the building I’m currently living in. 
I would love to say that I was fully clothed and ready to leave the building and definitely not dressed in only a towel after just stepping out from the shower. But then I would also love to tell you that I didn’t eat a packet of biscuits for dinner because I hadn't gone shopping and there was nothing to eat apart from chocolate and biscuits. But sometimes things just don’t go how you want them to. And sometimes you find yourself in a bathroom with wet hair and no clothes on while there’s a fire alarm disturbing everyone’s Tuesday evening.

After grabbing some clothes and my phone (I wonder what that says about me) 
I peered out to the corridor to find two of my housemates having a discussion whether to leave the building or stay inside. I joined in and when the alarm was still going after about five minutes we decided to make our way to the fire escape which is conveniently located right next to my door. We stepped out, admired the brightly lit skyline of London for a brief moment and finally joint the people who had gathered in front of the building. 
Right in that moment the alarm stopped and everyone went back inside, back to what they were doing before the rude disturbance. A turn out there never was a real fire. 
Apparently a girl had burnt something in the kitchen. At least she tried.



 Apart from that incident I have had a pretty good week so far. My internship is starting to become less boring (not exactly interesting but at least I don’t feel like repeatedly banging my head on the table anymore because I’m so bored. That’s what I like to call progress), my heating is working again and I got invited to Tacos in one of the kitchens on another floor. 
Also, I’m currently wearing baby blue nail polish. I mean c’mon, that must be a good thing.


Step by step I am adjusting to this new situation that made me feel so helpless in the beginning. But now, after less than three weeks, I already know that I will look back in the end and be a teeny tiny bit proud of myself, for not throwing the towel and going back to what I’m used to.



And totally unrelated, here is something that makes me smile every morning. In a lot of tube stations around London are these boards and the quote written on it changes daily. It’s just a small thing but as we all know, those are often the most valuable.


Bye for now
xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment